Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A little scare- one month early

Hey everyone,
So last night I was at work (my second to last night) and I didn't feel well from the time I walked in the door. The girls at work were convinced I was in labor, but I was convinced otherwise. I was having pain all the way from my upper back down to the middle of my leg, but only on my left side. I also felt like I had an upset stomach. I finally went down the hall to labor and delivery because I could no longer stand up straight. The labor nurses said it was probably better that I get checked out. So even though I felt like I was being a huge baby decided that was a good idea. They put me on the monitor and we shortly realized that I was in labor. The nurse told me she was going to give me some "terb" these are shots that help stop contractions. She told me that usually by the second dose the contractions are gone or slow down a lot. Well by the third dose my contractions had only become worse and not better. They were about 3 minutes apart at that time. I was shaking a lot from the medication and really uncomfortable. She said that they would try a pill as well to help stop it, but she said that it was unlikely to help at all. Sure enough the pill did nothing and she proceeded to tell Wes and I that we were most likely going to have a baby in the next day or so. Of course we were a little in shock and nervous. We felt it was too early for her to come, not just for us for for her. She would have a 50/50 chance of needing to go to the NICU. My Dr. decided that because the medication was not working he was just going to let me labor and see on the off chance that I would stop my contractions. Wes said a prayer for us that whatever Gods will was for us we were ok with. We were just so thankful to have gotten this far in the pregnancy. I was moved to a labor room, where of course I couldn't sleep at all. I was watching the monitor checking for how long and strong my contractions were. During the night some of them became progressively worse, others not so bad. Finally the contractions were more in my abdomen and not so much in my back, which was a huge relief. By morning I was feeling better. We were just waiting to see what my Dr. would say when he came to check me. We were excited to find out that my contractions had slowed to 7 minutes apart and I was still dialated only to 1cm. That meant we could go home, at least for now. I was happy to come home and be off the monitor. I got a few hours of sleep and am feeling pretty good. I am still having contractions, but not at all like last night. Just keep us in your prayers, and praise God for having the contractions slow down so much. My Dr. says that I could go back into labor at any time, but it could also be weeks more until I deliver. For now, until he says otherwise I am on bedrest. This is sooooooooo hard for me, especially when I have so much to do. If anything exciting happens I will keep you all updated. :)

2 comments:

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

I'm glad that the contractions stopped. Bed rest must be so hard, but take advantage of it!! Pretty soon you'll have NO rest! (By the way, nice template. =) Great minds think alike!)